Boomtown TrailSee All Submissions
Alberta has no shortage of picturesque destinations that will make you feel like you’re travelling back in time. Nestled between the province’s two largest cities, you’ll find several country towns and villages that sprang to life over a century ago during the expansion of the Calgary and Edmonton Railway (C&E) in the late 1800s.
A boomtown is a community that experienced rapid growth. This was a common occurrence in areas where precious metals and oil were discovered and around large construction sites.
While the C&E ceased passenger operations in 1985, you can still see the tracks along the Boomtown Trail. You’ll also notice the distinct architecture of some buildings. Boomtown architecture consists of cubic, wooden buildings that have flat roofs. Strolling through the streets of Stettler or Trochu is sure to transport you to a bygone era.
Download or print off the activity passports below and see start discovering central Alberta! Your passport also includes local offers and fun facts about the region.
HAPPY CAMPERS BOOMTOWN TRAIL PASSPORT
HAPPY LITTLE CAMPERS BOOMTOWN TRAIL PASSPORT
You’ll be covering a lot of ground and enjoying the many activities along the way. Save on road trip essentials with an AMA reloadable gift card, available for purchase in AMA centres and online through our store at store.ama.ab.ca. Earn cash back for shopping at over 65 brands. Or stop by some of our local AMA Rewards partners below:
- Camrose Aquatic Centre – SAVE 15% on regular adult daily admission
- Original Joe’s Airdrie – SAVE 10% on dining
- Best Western Hotel & Resort – Camrose – SAVE up to 15% and EARN 10% bonus points when you sign up for the free CAA Preferred BW Rewards program
- Reynolds Alberta Museum SAVE 10% on admission
- Hangar Flight Museum SAVE 10% on admission
- Fort Calgary Historic Park SAVE 10% on admission
- Lougheed House National and Provincial Historic Site Pay just $4 on admission – that’s over 50% in savings. Plus save 10% on regular priced gift merchandise.
- Calgary Zoo – SAVE 20% on regular admission
- Telus Spark Centre – SAVE 10% on regular admission rates
You’ll also find an offer* in your Happy Campers Boomtown Trail Passport for 10% off your stay at Half Moon Lake Resort.
Don’t forget to take lots of pictures along the way. Share your photos with us in our AMA Happy Campers Facebook community for a chance to win prizes for the whole family.
*Restrictions apply. Please see the Happy Campers Boomtown Trail Passport for more details.